Growing up with a competitive spirit and a demanding mom and dad gave me the edge to always want to be the best and excel at everything I do. I’ve always been passionate about living, setting goals, overcoming challenges, getting results and celebrating the victories I worked so hard for. I guess some may say it is one of the reasons I am so successful. I always have to be the person that makes my time worth while and if I’m going to do something no matter what it is I’m going to do my best.
Throughout the early years of my banking career a strong manager named Stacy (also my mentor) taught me everything I know, to be determined and proactive in everything I do. Although she has passed on, her spirit is always with me. While I’ve made some accomplishments, I am nowhere near where I envision myself to be in the future. Everyone always asks me, “are you satisfied with where you are in life” and the truth is, there’s always room for personal and professional growth. Our potential is limitless, we must continue to explore all possibilities and live our life to the fullest. Here are a few ways to living a life of greatness.
Follow your passion. The only way to live is to do what you truly love. Don’t let others steal your dreams, find what you love and the money will follow. Don’t just pursue a hobby; turn it into a career.
- Set goals, set a deadline. If you can have whatever, you want would you take it? Write down your goals and dreams. Create a dream board, take notes of the things you love and want to accomplish and start them. The life I’m living to day is a reflection of the goals I set in the past.
- Let go of any negative friendships. I know it sounds harsh, but you will thank me later. Life is too precious to be hanging around negativity. If you have friends who discourage you and pull you down, it’s time to get rid of them.
- Surround yourself with positive people. I often say, surround yourself with people who are smarter than you. Who are the people you normally spend time with? Who are the people that you can trust and encourage you to do better? Your attitudes and your beliefs are a function of the people you spend time with.
- Believe in yourself. Sometimes all we really need is belief or someone to believe in us. The majority of times I’ve been able to achieve something because I believed in myself and I had others who believed in me.
- Create an action plan. Do you plan your days? Do you wake up in the morning not knowing what you are supposed to be doing? Do you keep a calendar and a to do list? If not, maybe it’s time you do!
- Be compassionate, love conquers all. Show love and kindness to all the people around you, specially to do those who are there to help you. You can accomplish anything with love and respect.
- Network and meet new people. The more people you know the more possibilities you will have to grow and learn from others. Most people have a habit of secluding themselves in small circles. That won’t help us grow. Get out, go to events, network have others introduce you, the point is you have to meet new people.
- Mentor someone. There is no better way to learn about yourself than to teach others. Is there someone you know that can benefit from your help? Not only will you feel rewarded, but you will pick up new things along the way.
Remember to do what you love, and love what you do!