Life is meant to be fulfilling but sometimes the day-to-day tasks that we are called to engage in can feel mundane or even be overwhelming. Stress is all too often a daily battle for business owners as they try to balance creating cash flows, spending time with family, and other social/business demands. Because of how much negativity can effectively impact the success of your business as well as your own personal well-being, here are 5 things that you can do to be a happier business owner:
1) Find the Good: You can always take something positivefrom any experience that you have… Sometimes it just takes a little more searching. Search for things every day that will help you smile or laugh despite difficulties that you might be facing. Taking time every day to find the good will make you happier in your business.
2) Be Healthy: Our society has develop into such a culture where most of what we eat does not provide our bodies with the nutrients that we need to succeed in what we are trying to accomplish. We over-schedule ourselves in a way that we leave out exercise and our restaurants seem intent on over-feeding us. Unhealthy physical habits always tend to lead to unhealthy emotional responses and lack of motivation. Take 15-20 minutes each day to find a way to be a little healthier. Making a dramaticchange all at once is normally overwhelming and leads to failure. Instead, do something simple each day and build on that as time goes on.
3) Serve: Take time every week (or even day) to make a difference in someone else’s life. It is empowering. It will make you happier. I promise.
4) Be Realistic: One of the easiest ways of becoming discouraged is to set over-reaching goals and then fail to meet them. When you are realistic in your goal-setting, you will gain satisfaction as you accomplish more and more moving forward. Do not set yourself up for failure. Set yourself up to succeed.
5) Get Help: The easiest way to burn yourself out as a business owner is to try to do everything. Do everything that you can to move from being self-employed to being a business owner. You will take fulfillment in managing and delegating tasks and it will lighten the burden that you carry.
Do these five things and you will be a happier business owner. What else do you think could help increase your happiness?
Adapted from SmallBizCounsel